How your food is grown can have a significant impact on your health as well as the environment. Organic farming is widely recognised as a better agricultural method for both your own health and the planet. Here's why:
- 🐛 It involves fewer pesticides, which can be bad for our own health and toxic for a host of other organisms.
- 🌎 Organic farming is better for the environment. It conserves water, reduces soil erosion, increases soil fertility, and uses less energy.
- 🦠Organic food is free from Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs).
- 🍆Organic food is fresher because it doesn't contain preservatives.
- 🐷Organically raised animals are not given antibiotics, growth hormones, or fed animal byproducts.
Now that you're aware of the many benefits of organic food, here's some fantastic organic food services that deliver direct to your door.
Abel & Cole
Abel & Cole have been delivering organic food across the UK for over 30 years. They work with small family farmers, makers & bakers to create their organic veg boxes that can be delivered to you on a weekly basis. Their organic boxes are totally customisable, so you can take your pick of the season's crop and have it delivered to your door. 🍆🏠
Abel & Cole's sustainability efforts do not end with organic food produce. They also use minimal plastic and compostable packaging. Their veg boxes use recycled string and are all reusable, meaning they've saved an estimated 65,000,000 plastic bags! Abel & Cole also deliver to the same area on the same day each week, to keep emissions low.
Farmdrop make it easy to buy fresh, organic seasonal food, direct from local producers and delivered to your door. They are certified with the Soil Association meaning they abide by organic farming principles. Farmdrop take good care when it comes to their sourcing policy in particular:
- 📍They source local. Within 150 miles wherever possible
- 🚜Organic and sustainable farming techniques are always preferred
- 🐔Meat and eggs sourced from free-range farms
- 🤝They pay producers a fair price. Farmdrop are an accredited Living Wage employer
The Organic Food Comp.
The Organic Delivery Company offer great value organic food for your home & office. They deliver in London & throughout the UK. They're certified members of the Soil Association, which provides assurance that their food abides by correct organic agricultural practices. They're also committed to sourcing as much of their produce as possible from British Farmers, and have a great local produce section that allows you to buy locally grown food with ease. 📍
The Organic Delivery Company are also fully transparent about where they source their food and which suppliers they work with. You can read up on their suppliers here.
Riverford began when founder, Guy Watson, began sending vegetables to 30 of his friends in Devon. It’s now an award winning organic food delivery business, delivering around 47,000 boxes per week to homes across the country from a selection of UK farms. 🚜
Riverford's sustainability efforts extend beyond their organic food. As a certified B-Corp they meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance. Riverford also take measures to minimise packaging and use biodegradable packaging for their food deliveries. You can read about their packaging policy here. Riverford also have several amazing charity partnerships which you can look into here.