ethy worked with Efeca to create the criteria for our Sustainable Palm Oil trust mark
Efeca is a UK based consultancy with over 75 years of combined experience in the field of natural resources management, such as sustainable palm oil, soya, timber, pulp and paper, beef and leather (cattle), sugar, coffee, cocoa and rubber.
Efeca provides specialised advice on responsible sourcing, sustainable trade and use of agricultural and forest commodities and works with a range of clients in the UK as well as internationally across private, public, finance and civil society sectors.
They are a a Tropical Forest Alliance partner, World Economic Forum preferred supplier, a UN Global Compact signatory and Accountability Framework initiative coalition member.
Since 2016, Efeca produces the UK Palm Oil Annual Progress Reports, which are a part of the UK Sustainable Palm Oil Initiative.
Developing ethy’s Sustainable Palm Oil trust mark
In 2021-2022 ethy worked with Efeca over several months and through various workshops, and information sharing to gain a thorough understanding of the global palm oil industry.
Our objectives were to:
- Understand the problems with palm oil and the need for sustainable palm oil.
- The difference and impact between using ‘sustainable palm oil’ vs ‘no palm oil, aka substitutes’.
- Identify the most reliable organisations for poof-backed evidence from the ground that allow businesses to source sustainable palm oil and gain certification.
- Develop a deep understanding of what businesses and consumers need from ethy to help support the objective of creating a more sustainable future in relation to the palm oil industry.
- Develop a standard and criteria for ethy’s Sustainable Palm Oil trust mark.